Real ID


Starting October 1, 2021, REAL ID will change what identification you need to fly in the United States.

REAL ID is a federal law that requires all states to comply with new identification standards for air travel.

When REAL ID goes into effect next October, you’ll need more than a standard state-issued driver’s license to fly. You will need have a REAL ID compliant driver’s license or another acceptable form of identification, like a valid passport or U.S. military ID, to fly within the U.S.

Learn more about flying with a REAL ID

Oregon Residents
Oregon DMV will begin offering a REAL ID compliant driver license on July 6, 2020. Don’t want to wait until then? You have other options, like a passport or passport card. Head to to see if you’re ready for REAL ID and explore all identification options.

Washington State Residents
Washington state residents can get a REAL ID compliant license today. You’ll need to ask for an Enhanced Driver License or Enhanced ID Card. Both are REAL ID compliant. Learn more about Washington’s option at

Residents from other states
If you are not sure if your identification complies with REAL ID, check with your state department of motor vehicles.

Approved IDs
An updated driver’s license isn’t the only identification that will get you through security at the airport. Acceptable forms of identification for air travel include:

  • REAL ID driver’s license or other REAL ID compliant state photo identity card issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler card (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver’s license
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential (TWIC®)
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential


REAL ID is a federal law that requires all states to comply with new ID standards for air travel. Starting October 1, 2021, you will need a REAL ID compliant form of ID to fly in the United States. Learn more about flying with a REAL ID.

Oregon DMV will begin issuing REAL ID cards July 6, 2020. That doesn’t give you a lot of time if you want to fly by October, but you can use a passport or passport card to fly. Both are REAL ID compliant IDs.

Yes. Washington state is issuing REAL ID compliant licenses today. They are called an Enhanced Driver License or Enhanced ID Card. Learn how to get yours.

TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with an adult within the United States. Contact your airline for questions about specific ID requirements for travelers under 18.

If you have a passport, you have all you need to fly in the United States.

No. TSA currently accepts several other forms of identity documents and will continue to do so. For more information on acceptable forms of identification for boarding aircraft, please see TSA's website.

You may also be interested in