By downloading Port of Portland photos, you are agreeing not to use it for outside commercial use.
The sun is shining, Portland schools have shuttered for the summer, and summer travel is shifting into high gear at Portland International Airport.
Nearly 5.9 million travelers are expected to pass through the concourses and hallways at PDX during the busy summer travel season, spanning June through August.
On the airport’s busiest forecasted days—June 20, 24 and Aug. 1—more than 71,000 travelers will pass through PDX each day, compared to the normal daily average of about 51,000 during this time of year.
PDX set an all-time passenger record in 2018, welcoming 19.8 million travelers. That was the sixth consecutive year of record-setting passenger travel. While only halfway through the year, the airport is on track to surpass that record for 2019.
Fun Facts, Travel Tips & Seasonal Celebrations
- Contrary to popular belief, the busiest travel day at PDX is not the day before Thanksgiving. In fact, every year, the busiest travel days of the year fall during summer. This summer is no exception. The forecast indicates PDX will mark its busiest day ever on Aug. 1 as nearly 72,000 travelers are expected to pass through the airport.
- Sunshine and long days bring the onset of construction season, too. There are many airport improvement projects underway. Be sure to drive cautiously on Airport Way and the associated arterials as there will be more trucks and construction vehicles in the area.
- As temperatures rise, summer travel with pets can be tricky. If flying with an animal, check with your airline to be sure you’re up to speed on current regulations and needed documentation. When at PDX, be sure to heed the airport’s rules related to animals in the terminal.
- The airport’s “Here, There and Everywhere” summer campaign celebrates all journeys that begin and end at PDX. Join in celebrating the PDX retail and restaurants that bring the heart of Portland (here) and best of Oregon (there) to our travelers, while connecting everyone to far corners of the world (everywhere). As part of the promotion, travelers can enter now to win a pair of round-trip tickets on Alaska Airlines.
- Still searching for summer travel plans? Try one of these new nonstop flights that Sun Country Airlines recently inaugurated: Portland to Nashville, Tennessee (May 2); San Antonio (June 5); and St. Louis (June 7).
# # #
Our digital magazine sharing stories about our Port of Portland team, the people we serve in our region, and our connections across the globe.Check it out!
Media Relations Team
Our Media Relations Team strives to provide what you need in a timely manner. You can reach our on-call Media Relations representative 24/7 by texting or emailing the address below. During regular business hours feel free to contact the appropriate media relations contact who can assist you with visits and any interview or information requests.
After-hours on-call Public Information Officer: email@example.com